Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Habit of Gratefulness

We have been working on "habits training" for over a year now. Those of you that are familiar with Charlotte Mason's methods of education will, I'm sure, be well-acquainted with the concept. For those of you that are new to the CM method, habits training involves deliberately cultivating qualities that make us a better reflection of our Lord. Not to mention that they make life more pleasant for ourselves and everyone around us. We participate as a family in building these habits. We strive to have an atmosphere of "come along side and work together with me" rather than, "do as I say and not as I do". It can be very humbling and motivating when your children make greater strides in building proper habits than you do.

The habit we are currently working on is an attitude of gratefulness. Frankly, I decided to work on this one because I was tired of hearing my children grumbling and complaining about this or that. I figured they really needed this training! As is so often the case, God made it abundantly clear that I needed this training at least as much, if not more so, than they do. Instead of dragging my feet when it comes time to make a meal, I should be praising God that I have food to cook. I should be giving thanks that I have such a wonderful home to clean and am blessed with three amazing young boys.

I often wish that we were farther along in our mastery of these habits. I have in my head this wonderful picture of where I'd like us to be, but unfortunately, we fall quite short most of the time. But I am truly grateful for the progress we've made, by God's grace. And I know that He who has begun a good work in me will carry it on to completion.

"Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus." 1Thessalonians 5:16-18

What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment